Beginning the Application Process
The application process begins when an applicant contacts the College to request registration as an NP.
Applicants to the Extended Class can request the Nurse Practitioner Specialty Certificate Application Package by filling out the online request form or by contacting the College’s Customer Service Centre.
The application package contains a set of application forms, which must be filled out and returned to the College by the applicant, and a set of verification forms, which must be authorized and forwarded to the appropriate third party (employers, universities, other regulatory bodies, etc.) for submission to the College.
The application forms will ask you to provide such information as:
- confirmation of the personal information you submitted with your request for an application package
- a summary of all nursing education, including specific details about NP program(s)
- a summary of your registration in all jurisdictions in which you are practising or have practised nursing
- a summary of all employment positions as an NP since graduating from your NP program(s), if any.
The verification forms will ask employers, nursing regulators, educational institutions and other third parties to verify such information as:
- course completion and transcripts
- previous places of employment and references.
The College must receive all documents from third parties directly from the source. Third-party information submitted by the applicant will not be considered.
Complete and sign all sections and return the form with all applicable fees to the College.
Answering “yes” to certain questions on the Declaration of Registration Requirements (included in the application forms) will require you to forward additional information with your application, including a personal statement and supporting documentation. This information will be reviewed by the College’s Executive Director and referred to the Registration Committee, which will extend the time it takes to process your application.
The College will begin processing your application when it receives your completed forms and all required fees. The application fee is non-refundable, but you may be entitled to a full or partial refund of your examination fee if you choose to withdraw from a scheduled examination.
Completing the registration process can take from three to 18 months, but this is a guideline only. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the timely delivery of all documentation and other information requested by the College.
Factors that may delay an applicant’s registration include:
- graduating from a program that doesn’t meet entry-to-practice competencies
- failing to provide evidence of having practised nursing or graduated from a nursing program within the past three years
- failing to provide evidence that demonstrates language proficiency in either English or French
- the time needed to translate official documents translate official documents into either English or French
- failing to successfully complete the required registration examination or jurisprudence examination
- information about the applicant’s conduct, competence or health that may require further review and follow-up.
- failing to produce other documents requested by the College.
- You may photocopy any of the forms as necessary, and you are encouraged to keep a copy of your completed forms for your records. You must ensure that all forms are dated and signed.
- Incomplete or missing information, including missing or insufficient fees, may result in the form(s) being returned and a delay in the processing of your application.
- Making a false or misleading statement or representation on your application or supporting documents may result in the cancellation of your application for registration and/or cancellation of any certificates that may be issued.