Sur cette page
Journey to RN prescribing
Currently, RNs do not have the authority to prescribe medications. We are working toward enabling this change in RNs' scope of practice.
CNO is your primary source for timely and accurate information about RN prescribing.
On May 17, 2017, the Ontario government changed the Nursing Act to permit RNs to prescribe medication and to communicate diagnoses for the purpose of prescribing medication. The changes were made to improve access to care by allowing RNs to treat patients’ non-complex health conditions. Government asked CNO to do the necessary regulatory work that will allow RNs to prescribe medication to treat "non-complex" health conditions and to "communicate a diagnosis for the purpose of prescribing those medications."
Over the past two years, CNO completed rigorous research and stakeholder engagement – including the public, nurses, employers, and others – to help us develop competencies, standards and regulation requirements.
CNO’s vision is that RN prescribing will be safe for the people of Ontario. Diagnosing and prescribing are high-risk activities; CNO is accountable for providing proper regulatory oversight that protects the public’s right to safe nursing care.
Government approval is required for the regulation to take effect.
We will work closely with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care to promote transparent communication about when the regulation will take effect so that stakeholders can prepare for the change.
We will ensure that the public and other stakeholders know, among other things:
- how to identify an RN who is authorized to prescribe medication
- what to expect from an RN prescriber, including which client populations they treat and which medications they prescribe
- where to go if they have concerns about an RN prescriber
- how an RN prescriber differs from other nursing roles
- The Standard, Mar. 2019 - How your feedback is shaping the future of RN prescribing
- The Standard, Dec. 2018 - Help make RN prescribing safe: Comment on proposed regulation
- The Standard, Sept. 2018 - RN Prescribing: Timeline change
- The Standard, Aug. 2018 - Is it a medical directive or prescribing?
- The Standard, Jun. 2018 - RN prescribing survey: What we learned
- The Standard, Apr. 2018 - Comment on changes: RN prescribing
- The Standard, Mar. 2018 - The complexities of RN prescribing
- The Standard, Feb, 2018 - What RN prescribing means for dispensing
- The Standard, Jan. 2018 - Full steam ahead for RN prescribing
- CNO to start work on RN prescribing
- Letter from Minister Hoskins