Nurses and nurse employers: A new provincial order authorizes health care professionals, including nurses, to provide patient care services outside their regular scope of practice. It also enables hospitals to engage regulated health professionals from out of province.
Ontario is maintaining public health measures under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. Emergency orders under this Act and the Reopening Ontario Act, 2020 continue to be in force. Please see COVID-19 Response Framework: Keeping Ontario Safe and Open to determine how these apply to your practice and region. Read the latest Ministry announcements for updates.
We are grateful for the important role you are playing on the frontlines of this unprecedented event. We know you are being asked to do more than ever before. You are the heart of our health care system, and you continue to demonstrate your dedication to your patients and their families every day.
Nurses are accountable to all standards of practice.
Guidance and best practices
- Standards of care and nurses' accountabilities
- Nurses’ accountabilities to support public health directives
- Nurses to administer the COVID-19 vaccine without an order
- COVID-19 vaccine FAQs for nurses
- CNO COVID-19: Practice Resources
- This page contains a variety of COVID-19-related information for nurses
- Ministry of Health and Ministry of Long-Term Care – Guidance Documents for Health Sector
- Ministry of Health and Ministry of Long-Term Care – Directives, Memorandums and Other Resources
- COVID-19 Operational Requirements: Health Sector Restart
- Directive #3 for Long-term care homes under the Long-term Care Homes Act, 2007
- Directive #5 for information on Personal Protective Equipment
- Directive #6 for COVID-19 vaccination policy in health settings
Employers who need resources for additional worker support can register with Ontario's matching portal.
- Prevent the virus from spreading: Instruction sheet for people who have been asked to self-isolate
- COVID-19 – How to self-monitor
- COVID-19 – How to self-assess
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Public Message (CNO)
How New Grads can help during COVID-19
If you have met the requirements for registration, apply to the General Class.
If you have not written your registration exam, you may consider applying to the Temporary Class. You will need an offer of employment in order to apply for this class.
If you are still in a nursing program and want to help ...
The Ministry of Health is looking for experienced health care providers — including learners who have begun, but not yet completed professional training, who can help prevent and control the spread of COVID-19. Visit Ontario's matching portal for more information.
For answers to frequently asked questions about COVID-19, such as what the risks and symptoms are, how it spreads, and how you can protect yourself, read the Government of Canada’s FAQ page.
You can also find information about how to protect yourself from the virus, what to do if you’re sick and how to recognize possible symptoms on the Ministry of Health’s dedicated COVID-19 web page.
To help with the COVID-19 vaccination efforts, members of the public can register and apply through the Ontario Matching Portal. Visit CNO’s COVID-19 Vaccine information for more on the vaccine rollout.