On This Page
When employer policies conflict
My employer recently implemented a policy that does not align with CNO’s practice standards. What are my accountabilities when this happens?
Your primary accountability is to meet CNO’s standards.
Employers and nurses have a shared responsibility to create environments supporting quality practice. One way nurses do this is by advocating for policies in their patient’s best interest and safety. This requires careful consideration of:
- the patient population
- the environment
- relevant CNO standards, and
- best available evidence
We encourage nurses to speak with key decision-makers within the practice environment to advocate that policies reflect standards of practice.
To guide your decision-making, the following reflective questions may be helpful:
- Have I discussed my concerns with the health care team?
- Have I discussed my concerns with key decision-makers in my organization? (For example, quality and risk management or professional practice leaders)?
- What evidence is available to inform the policy?
- What tools are in place to help nurses apply the standards of practice in my organization?