On This Page
Selena Patrice Dockery, 9326661
The Member admitted that she engaged in professional misconduct by failing to cooperate with the Quality Assurance (“QA”) Committee in that she failed to participate in the Practice Assessment and failed to complete activities directed by the QA Committee in 2018. The Member also failed to participate in the scheduled Practice Simulations directed by the QA Committee in 2018 and 2019.
Based on the Member’s admissions, the Panel found the Member:
- failed to cooperate with the QA Committee or any assessor appointed by that committee; and
- engaged in conduct, relevant to the practice of nursing, that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as unprofessional.
The College of Nurses of Ontario (“CNO”) and the Member presented the Panel with a Joint Submission on Order requesting that the Panel make an order that included the following:
- an oral reprimand;
- a 2-month suspension;
- terms, conditions and limitations, including:
- attending 2 meetings with a Regulatory Expert; and
- participation in CNO’s next available QA program cycle.
The Panel accepted the Joint Submission on Order, concluding that the proposed penalty was reasonable and in the public interest.
The aggravating factor considered by the Panel included the seriousness of the offence. The Panel noted QA is a key element in maintaining high standards of all self-regulated professions and the success of the program relies on members participating when required to do so and being governed by CNO.
Mitigating factors considered by the Panel included:
- the Member cooperated with CNO;
- the Member has shown remorse;
- the Member has taken responsibility for her actions;
- the person receiving the Member’s mail did not notify the Member of the correspondence from CNO, but the Member recognized it was her responsibility to stay in communication with CNO and has taken steps to correct this;
- the Member has support of her family to rectify issues with communication;
- the Member agreed to the Agreed Statement of Facts and the Joint Submission on Order; and
- the Member has no prior discipline history.