Practice Reflection Resources
A focus of CNO’s QA program is to encourage nurses to think about their experiences to help identify learning needs and ongoing professional development. The following resources have been developed to support you in reflecting on your practice.
- 2021 reflective questions
- Video: How to become a reflective practitioner
- Video: Value of Practice Reflection
- Guide: Quality Assurance: Your guide to self-assessment
- Learning Plan template
- Learning Plan samples
SMART Learning Goals
Watch this video and use the guide to help you write Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-limited (SMART) learning goals for your Learning Plan.
- Are your Learning Goals SMART? (video)
Standards and Guidelines
CNO creates practice standards and guidelines to support nurses in providing the public safe, quality care These documents, including CNO’s Code of Conduct, outline the expectations and accountabilities for nurses. They apply to all nurses, regardless of their role, job description or area of practice. Use these documents to enhance your knowledge of your learning goals.
Developed in conjunction with nursing regulators across the country, these documents describe what is expected of entry‐level registered nurses and registered practical nurses in order to provide safe and ethical nursing care in a variety of
- Entry-to-Practice Competencies for Registered Nurses
- Entry-to-Practice Competencies for Ontario Registered Practical Nurses
- Entry-to-Practice Competencies for Nurse Practitioners
Resources for Nurse Practitioners
Nurse Practitioners must review the Nurse Practitioner practice standard, the Entry-to-Practice Competencies for Nurse Practitioners and the information in the NP Practice Resources section of this website.