This principle involves making sure you have the knowledge, skill and judgment to safely perform a medication practice.
- Am I the appropriate care provider? Do I have the knowledge, skill and judgment?
- If you're not sure, consider what resources you need to answer this question. For example, look up drug references or best practices and guidelines.
- What evidence informs my practice?
- What organizational policies might influence my practice?
- Is the medication practice appropriate for my client?
- Is the medication practice appropriate for my workplace setting?
- Do I have the appropriate environmental supports, such as organizational guidelines, equipment and protocols, to administer and manage outcomes safely?
- Do I need to develop a Learning Plan related to this medication practice?
For more information on competence, review these College resources:
Return to tool homepage