This principle provides information on promoting safe care.
- Have I considered the risk, contraindications and adverse reactions?
- What evidence informs my practice? (See the glossary in the Medication practice standard for the definition of evidence-informed.)
- What are the strategies to minimize the risk of harm?
- Are there supports to minimize harm if an adverse event occurs?
- Do I need to collaborate or consult with others? For example, the health care team or the client.
- Have I provided the client with education?
- Is the client informed?
- Has the client or substitute decision-maker been involved in the care planning?
- Are there system approaches that support safe medication practices available? For example, safe storage, reporting errors and strategies to reduce drug diversion.
For more information on safety, review these College resources:
Canada’s Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting
Return to tool homepage