On This Page
Non-Practising Class: Terms, Conditions and Limitations
Every Non-Practising Class certificate of registration is subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
The member shall not engage in the practice of nursing in Ontario.
The member shall not be considered in breach of this term, condition, or limitation if:
- The member is engaged in continuing education or remediation directed by a committee or a panel of a committee of the College, approved by the Executive Director or as required to obtain the reinstatement of a General or Extended class certificate of registration which he or she formerly held; and
- The member maintains professional liability protection in accordance with the requirements, if any, set out in the by-laws for a member holding the class certificate of registration for which he or she is seeking reinstatement.
The member shall not hold himself or herself out as a person qualified to practise in Ontario as a nurse, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, practical nurse, registered practical nurse, or in any speciality of nursing.
The member shall be restricted to the use of the following title:
- in the case of a holder of a Non-Practising class certificate of registration as a registered nurse, “Registered Nurse, Non-Practising”, or “RN Non-Practising” or
- in the case of a holder of a Non-Practising class certificate of registration as a registered practical nurse, “Registered Practical Nurse, Non-Practising” or “RPN Non-Practising.”
The member can also use the RN or RPN title without the “Non-Practising” qualifier so long as they make it clear, at the time they are using their title, that they are not qualified to practise nursing in Ontario.
The member shall provide to the Executive Director the details of any of the following that relate to the member and occur or arise on or after the day that the member was issued a certificate of registration:
- A finding of guilt arising in any jurisdiction relating to any offence.
- A charge arising in any jurisdiction relating to any offence.
- A finding of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity or any similar finding, in relation to the practice of nursing or another profession in any jurisdiction.
- A current investigation, inquiry or proceeding for professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity or any similar investigation or proceeding in relation to the practice of nursing or another profession in any jurisdiction.
The member shall, at the request of the Executive Director, provide information that is required pursuant to the Nursing Act, 1991, the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, regulations under those Acts or the by-laws in the form and manner requested by the Executive Director.