On This Page

Medical leave

Q: I have been on a long-term medical leave from practice and will continue on my medical leave indefinitely.  Should I register in the Non-Practising Class?

A: It depends on how long you have not been practising nursing. If you have not practised nursing at any time in the previous three years you are required to apply to register in the Non-Practising Class or resign from CNO.

This contributes to public protection by ensuring that members registered in the General or Extended classes have recent nursing practice.

If you remain employed while on an extended medical leave, CNO doesn’t recognize this as evidence of practice.




To request an accessible version of any document on this page, please contact us.

Page last reviewed June 07, 2022