On This Page

Sliding scale insulin

I’m an RPN working in home health care. Some of my clients require sliding scale insulin to be administered subcutaneously as part of their care plans. Can I delegate this procedure to UCPs?

You can delegate the administration of sliding scale insulin to a UCP as long as you meet the 10 requirements for delegation outlined in the Scope of Practice standard.

Administering insulin by subcutaneous injection is a controlled act that all nurses are authorized to perform (RNs and RPNs need an order to perform it). RNs and RPNs can delegate any controlled act that they can perform except for dispensing, which cannot be delegated by nurses.




To request an accessible version of any document on this page, please contact us.

Page last reviewed July 01, 2023