On This Page
Nurse Renewal Check
Nurse Renewal Check is a service provided by CNO for nursing employers, facility operators or anyone else who needs to have the membership status of nurses they employ on a full-time, part-time, casual or contractual basis quickly and efficiently checked.
It is an efficient alternative to you having to manually review each nurse’s membership status by phone or using, the public Register Find a Nurse, making it ideal for organizations that employ a large number of nurses.
What are the benefits of Nurse Renewal Check?
- Increased efficiency. You can confirm the registration status of nurses in one easy step.
- Focused follow-up. You can follow up with only those nurses who have registration issues (suspensions, revocations, or terms, conditions or limitations on their certificates of registration).
- Improved risk management. You will quickly know which nurses are registered to practice and who has had their registration suspended or revoked, or has terms, conditions or limitations in effect on their membership. This helps you to schedule staff appropriately.
- Enhanced working relationships. In some cases, you can work with nurses to resolve identified issues.
- Public protection. You can identify quickly anyone whose CNO membership has been suspended or revoked, or who is an unregistered practitioner.
How does it work?
CNO provides you with a spreadsheet to complete with each nurse’s information. We then use this information to confirm whether each nurse is eligible to practice in Ontario. We will inform you if any of those listed have had their CNO membership suspended or revoked, or if they have terms, conditions or limitations in effect on their membership.
How much does it cost?
During the COVID-19 pandemic, this service is being offered free by CNO.
How can I access this service?
- In the Nurse Renewal Check template, fill in the name, registration number and category (RN or RPN) of each nurse you are enquiring about. Find instructions on how to fill the template in our Nurse Renewal Check reference guide.
- Complete and sign the Service Agreement and Site Contact Information form.
- Email your completed spreadsheet and form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CNO will return your report via email within five business days. You are only required to include the Service Agreement and Site Contact form with your first Nurse Renewal Check run of the year; they are not required for additional runs.
Questions? Contact the CNO at email@example.com.